Friday, January 6, 2012

Stickers - More than just a mess in the washer

So, the last time I took Big Girl to the doctor she was really sick - maybe rotavirus?
Not a happy lady.

When we were 'checking out' the receptionist - who I know to be a really nice lady - offered her a sticker.

I'll bet you know what's coming now...

As usual - it was a princess sticker.
"I'd bet you'd love a princess sticker! She's pretty just like you!"
Sorry - I'm the one who has to puke now.


Yesterday, Little Girl and Little Boy had their 6 month check up and I thought I'd bring the whole 'sticker issue' up with the doctor. He's a great family doctor, with kids the same age as ours - including a set of twins - and I figured he might not really know what was up with the sticker-handing-out-situation. How often does he collect a sticker on his way out?

I hope I didn't fall too deeply into the lovely soft chair of rhetoric I like so much...

"If you have a minute," I said after discussing the twins' health (just fine, thanks!), "I just wanted to ask you about stickers at check out, because the last time we were here..."

And, he was really receptive.
Offered to talk to the (really, she's lovely) receptionist and encourage her to hold out a few stickers - not gender specific, "licensed character" ones, and let the child choose.

I did let him know that there were some great stickers out there (I don't suppose he orders the stickers for his office) - medical, scientific ones! I'd like to see some more of those - and fewer stickers designed to suck money from my pocket into Disney's coffers.

On that topic - let me share with you (my loyal reader) a proud mummy moment:
Big Girl was complaining about having to clear her plate to the kitchen.

"I have to do EVERYTHING!"

"Oh yes," I said, "It's tough to be Cinderella."

Pause while plate was put in dishwasher and then...

"Who is Cinderella?"

OK - that made me feel like I might, maybe, possibly, be doing something right.

Because, stickers are more than just a mess in the washer. They are a message, especially at the doctor's office, or school or church - a place of authority. They let our little ones know that someone important thinks that the person, or scene, on the sticker is good or enjoyable. Something they should know or like.

And - we are trying to raise polite kids, after all - they thank the person for this little bit of brainwashing coming their way.

As you know (if you do the washing at your house) - once a sticker is stuck on, it isn't easy to get off.

Here is a link to a great post on the same topic:

No comments:

Post a Comment